See Andy's other stuff:

LinkedIn
RSS Feed

Follow Andy

Contact Me >>

Elementeo, My Dear Watson

You never know where word of mouth comes from. 

You never know which random person is going to talk to another, or which path leads to your next opportunity.

Example:  I read a blog post somewhere (can’t remember, probably VentureBeat), about 13-year old Anshul Samar who started a hot company called Elementeo to teach chemistry with playing cards.  It’s pretty cool.

I tell my wife, who used to be an editor at Chemical and Engineering News.  She sends it to them.  Voila!  Elementeo is in the June 18 issue of the magazine – with 160,000 chemists reading.

The Lesson:  Try everything, talk to everyone, be really nice all the time. You never know who’s talking about you.

Email to a friend:

Privacy: We won't save or reuse these emails.

Comments

  1. Jay Tillery July 2, 2007 at 5:27 pm #

    This is so true. 75% of my work comes from word of mouth and the other 25% comes from people hearing about someone needing work, will tell me and I solicit my skills. Excellent post.

  2. Jeff Scurry July 2, 2007 at 11:02 pm #

    This is a great story and exactly what I “preach” to my friends. It happens more often than people think. Thanks for sharing.

Get My Newsletter!

Subscribe to Damn, I Wish I’d Thought of That! for a weekly email full of unusually useful ideas for smart marketers. Great marketing is about brains, not bucks. The best business ideas are easy to do, inexpensive, and fun. Learn to simplify your business, earn word of mouth, and thrill your customers:

Never display this again