Marriott is great at branding. They have a dozen brands, each designed to attracts a very specific set of guests:
- Courtyard by Marriott: Business travelers
- Fairfield Inn: Economy lodging
- Residence Inn: Extended stay for families
- SpringHill Suites: Business traveler suites
What’s most fascinating is that they often have 3-4 brands on the same lot, with different lobbies and front doors. As long as you walk in the right door, you get exactly the experience you are looking for.
At GasPedal, we do the same thing.
- GasPedal.com = We Teach Word of Mouth
- Socialmedia.org = Community for Big Company Social Media Executives
This strategy is great if you really have different customers. You can focus on communicating your value to them with a deep and clear message.
The downside is that it’s twice as much work to market and maintain two great brands.