Lots of folks are debating the cause of the 14% drop in PC sales: Mac vs. PC? Tablets? Windows 8?
I think it’s simpler than that.
Computers are finally good enough.
- You click on the icon and it opens instantly.
- Word takes your words as fast as you can type.
- Excel does all your math in the blink of an eye.
- Your videos and photos are instantly processed.
- Your music sounds great.
- Batteries last long enough.
- The keyboard and screen do the job.
- It’s as small as it needs to be.
There just isn’t a really good reason to get a new one.
Computer makers want us to buy them like cars: Status symbols that we need to upgrade every year.
Reality: Computers are like dishwashers — appliances that we can keep until they wear out.