In a world where most shopping starts with a search engine, it’s a big disadvantage to be un-findable.
- Does Shure outsell Etymotic because no one can spell Etymotic? I own and like both kinds of earphones, but I rarely refer Ety because I can’t spell it.
- Do the Jewel, Shoppers, and Lucky grocery chains get less search traffic because they have common-word names? It’s easier to find Kroger and Brookshire.
- Does Andy Sernovitz get more referrals than social media expert Peter Kim because there are few more Kims than Sernovitzs out there?
When you’re thinking about a name for your business, you want something that is:
- Different enough that you’re the only one
- Simple enough that everyone can say and spell it